Monday, May 4, 2009

Peekskill ~ Annsville Preserve




A local told me that I'd enjoy seeing Annsville Perserve. It's hidden beyond where Water street dead-ends. He gave me great directions ~ go to the end of Water Street, you'll pass factories and warehouses and you'll be certain you're going the wrong way but keep going... and he was right. I finally came to the preserve. I decided to park outside the gate rather than take my car in.




A view of Dunderberg Mountain ~ haunted by a little Dutch goblin of thunder (Donder is thunder in Dutch.)


A pleasant ramble along the tracks. I saw hawks soaring overhead and some unidentified bird doing aerial ballet.



All along the river in The Hudson Highlands there are scenic overlooks. I didn't have time to explore the entire park, but noticed paths going uphill which probably meant some great views were to be had up there.


The walk back to town from the preserve.