Monday, May 24, 2010

John Burroughs




" I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read and all the friends I want to see." ~ John Burroughs


"I do not think I exaggerate the importance or the charms of
pedestrianism, or our need as a people to cultivate the art. I think it would tend to soften the national manners, to teach us the meaning of leisure, to acquaint us with the charms of the open air." ~ John Burroughs


Burroughs was born in the Catskills and although he traveled far and wide to go on nature expeditions, hike and camp and talk nature with men like Theodore Roosevelt, Luther Burbank, John Muir, Henry Ford, and Thomas Edison, he was always overjoyed to get back to the Catskill ~ Hudson Valley region.