Monday, May 3, 2010

Around the Next Bend

One of the joys of walking is never knowing what will be around the next bend.

When I walk, since I'm often walking in the same areas, I try to go off trail and explore a bit. Yesterday I walked down a hidden lane on my way to Rockland Lake State Park and spotted a sign promising an encounter with a rooster. I didn't have to wait long--the instant he spotted me he came running up the hill as fast as he could, in an attitude of extreme huffiness. I did not grab one of the sticks.



He took a bold stand and waited for me to either charge him with a stick or run away.


When he saw I wasn't going to play the usual game, he got very timid, and to save face pretended that there was a piece of corn or something in the road.


I walked over to him, into the shade.We just stood there, saying nothing, just resting. It was so hot yesterday, and there was nothing to say. We just stood there in silence. He groomed himself a little, looked me up and down a few times, and eventually walked back down the hill, perhaps to see what was happening back at his coop.